Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Journal = No go

After going through all my journal entries I decided against using them. They really don't work with what I wanted to do anyway, and they're really random and kind of all over the place. I didn't remember the entries being that way but looking back on them they really aren't that interesting.

Instead I decided to write from my memory about times in Miyagi. This way I can not only talk about my memory and how life was there, but I can also compare it to how my life is now in Tokyo. I think if I do this it will be more relevant to my project overall.

I'm still deciding whether I want to record it as narration or not though. I might just want to have a clip of the text next to the pictures that it relates to. But I'll probably go with narration unless I feel like it doesn't really work. I'll at least give it a try after I've finished writing everything.

I've also thought that because I've been in Tokyo almost the exact same amount of time that I was in Miyagi, I want to make it more like "a year there" versus "a year here". Not phrased like that... but I want to order the pictures and events chronologically instead of by topic. More like, at this time of my year in Miyagi I was doing this and thinking this, but at this time in Tokyo I was doing this and thinking this. I do want to keep a couple of the topical things in there though such as quality of living and such aspects like that. I want people to be able to feel the difference of a foreigner trying to live in the country side and one living in Tokyo.

I don't want to make it too long or have too many sections though so I'll just be doing the events/times and the topics that I think are the most important. I'm thinking about 5 or so total, but elaborating. Maybe have a longer bit in text and just read a section (the most important part) of each for the narration.

And now, I'm off to write!

No comments: