Monday, July 21, 2008

Putting it together

So my piece is basically just a refelection on certain aspects on my time in Miyagi and Tokyo, and how they are different, or sometimes similar. There's nothing really deep behind it besides my own feelings, but it was refreshing to go through my memories and see what came up. Although the final product may not look like a lot, I put a lot of thought into what to do, so the process was really a good reflection for myself.

The journal entries were really a flop but it was still fun to go back and read what I had written. It brought up a lot of old memories about my time there. It's almost been 3 years since I left and I haven't been back since, so my memory is starting to get fuzzy now. I want to keep my memories as intact as possible though of course. I had also never compared my time there to my time here in Tokyo, and while of course I knew it was different, I don't think I realized the extent... Tokyo is SO different! And I get a lot less Japanese practice here. Well, at least it's much less stressful for me because I don't have to be confused by the culture and language as often. (Except when I work at Starbucks, call in sick, and then almost get fired... Whoops. I don't understand Japanese work ethic I guess!)

I decided on framing a box of text next to two pictures, one from Miyagi and one from Tokyo, both relating to the paragraph's topic. I'll have 5 of these little text-picture combinations, one per topic, arranged in a neat/artistic manner on the wall. My 5 topics are: Living Situation, School, Arrival, Holidays, and Departure. I have pictures for all of these, although I'm not a photographer and not trying to be one so they aren't the best... the ones from Miyagi especially. I'm going to try to touch them up in photoshop a bit to make them look cooler.

I hafta go off to Bic Camera and Tokyuu Hands to print out my photos and get cardboard to mount them on!! Tomorrow will be a busy shopping day... (Among other things that I have to do. Ugh, finals!!!)

No comments: